Monday, July 20, 2009

Kindergarten!

Have I told you that Ella is starting Kindergarten in about a month? I KNOW. We're playing "school" right now in an effort to prepare her. It's also the only way I can get her to look at the workbooks I bought. Oh, my well-intentioned naivety.

PLAN IN MY HEAD: Can't you just see it? We're sitting in the afternoon sunlight at the table, her hair perfectly braided, me showered and dressed. She practices drawing a "5" and exclaims with joy at her new found skills. We laugh, full of knowledge and the thrill of discovery.

REALITY: Mom, I don't want to do my math book. I want to color in my princess coloring book. Mom, that's not how I want to do it (because I'm obviously coloring the picture in wrong). Mom, can you get Gretchen out of here?

So we play.

Ella - When is snack time at this kindergarten?

Me - Kindergarten is for big kids, and it's not long enough for snack time. We don't have snack time in kindergarten.

Ella - (pause...) Well they should.

Me - Well, are you sick of coloring? Do you want to have recess now?

Ella - Yeah. I'm going to play with Pretend Kyle.

(Five minutes later, when Ella is frustrated and sitting on the floor...)

Me - What's wrong, you want to work together on something?

Ella - No, Fake Kyle doesn't want to play.

Luckily she has a playdate with Real Kyle tomorrow. She's super excited. I'm sure he'll want to play the whole time, and not be all moody and demanding like that annoying Fake Kyle.

1 comment:

duffydominion said...

Fake Kyle isn't very nice.

Is Ella going to start Daisy Scouts, too? That's when I started Daisy Scouts - in Kindergarten.